ST. PATRICK'S UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
The private St. Patrick’s University Hospital was established 250 years ago by Jonathan Swift as one of oldest purposed built psychiatric hospitals. Located in inner city Dublin with about 300 beds on a six acre site, it required a new master plan to set a new direction in care giving for the next 25 years.
Kearns Mancini, working with another Toronto firm, conducted a detailed program of research and analysis of the functional requirements to create the new master plan. The master plan produced a phased implementation strategy comprising extensive renovations, temporary decanting facilities, link buildings and a new acute intensive care building.
The master plan addressed the organic growth comprised of the original 18th century buildings, now historically designated, as well as numerous building additions dating from the 19th and early 20th century. Recently, the hospital was enlarged with two major new wings built in 1975 and 1985.
The first two phases of the implementation involved the renovations of the historical 1745 building and the 1975 building. Following the renovations a new innovative new building of approximately 16,000 sq. ft. was developed to house the Hospital’s new intensive care unit, applying strictest attention to patient safety in every detail while creating a very hospitable, warm, environment with views to the surrounding landscaped gardens.
Taking advantage of the single-storey building form, the roof design was highly developed to introduce abundant daylight into all parts of the building interior.
|Location:||James Gate, Dublin, Ireland|
|Client:||St. Patrick's University Hospital|
|Gross sq.ft:||60,000 sq.ft|
|Project Phases:||1A: 1753 Building Restoration|
|2A: Four-Storey 1975 Building Renovation|
|2A: New Psycho-Geriatric Unit|
|3A: Demolition of 18th Century Wing|
|3B: New Gable & Link Building|
|3C: New Hospital Entrance|
|Project value:||$16 Million CDN|
|Project team:||Design Architect: Kearns Mancini Architects|
|Associated Architects: Architects Crang & Boake Inc. and Costello Murray Beaumont Architects|